Parents of children with additional needs
The Now and Next group program help parents and carers develop skills to achieve positive outcomes for their child, family and self. Participants choose outcomes and work towards them with new clarity and purpose. Now and Next is family centred, based on strengths and takes into account how adults like to learn.
The program is delivered in eight sessions of 2 hours held over 8 weeks via Zoom, (an online webinar platform).
Through fun and engaging activities, you will:
- Set goals for your child, family and self-using Pictability©, a unique vision setting experience;
- Identify a vision and write goals for your child, family and self-using our unique planning tool Pictability;
- Learn to apply the principles and tools of positive psychology to achieve better outcomes for your child, family and self;
- Learn how to use our 'goal to action' strategy to achieve your 3 goals during the program;
- Reflect on your child, personal and family strengths using the Now and Next Mindfulness colouring in book;
- Identify your signature strengths and how to use them to achieve positive outcomes;
- Learn how to create positive relationships with professionals;
- Learn how to improve your child, family and personal well-being;
- Use an iPad to create a personalised e-book that documents your progress.
Build a network of support
Past participants have greatly valued the group setting that brings together families raising children with a developmental delay or disability. A first of its kind in Australia, this parent led, evidence-based program:
- Provides a safe environment where families can openly share their stories;
- Builds new relationships and a network of support;
- Enables families to learn about new strategies and ideas from each other;
-Empowers and inspires families to “get in the driver’s seat” and take charge of their journey.
Sessions: Monday 11th February to Monday 1st April 2019, 8pm to 10pm
Register your expression of interest through Eventbrite and you will then be contacted by a Now and Next team member to discuss this program and confirm your attendance.
It is recommended that families be available to attend all 8 Now and Next sessions.
This program is for families of children with disability or developmental delay.
We have run groups for Vietnamese, Arabic and Korean speaking families, and hope to extend this to other languages in the future. For now, we have some capacity to offer a one-on-one Now and Next program for families who require an interpreter.
For more information, please contact the Now and Next team on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Now and Next program has been developed by Sylvana Mahmic (CEO, Plumtree) and Dr Annick Janson (Clinical Psychologist and Positive Psychology Researcher) both of whom are parents of young men who have a disability. They developed this program because they learnt that a positive vision and a focus on strengths is the best foundation for your child and family’s future.
Over 300 participants have completed this award-winning program in the past 24 months including in New Zealand and Finland.
Watch this 6-minute clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=HrDyMqoHVD8
0-1 - Infants
2-3 - Toddlers
4-5 - Children
5-12 - Children
Plumtree, Yabsley Avenue, Jarvie Park
Marrickville, Sydney District
Monday, 11 February 2019
Monday, 01 April 2019
8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Childcare not available for these sessions. Please do not bring your child/children. If childminding is an issue, please contact us on 9572 8840 (ask for Mana, Stacey or Mogi)
to download the Now and Next T1- online.pdf